Tuesday 2 July 2013

Brooklyn Girls

I contacted Gemma Burgess herself when she tweeted about the possibility of advanced copies of her book. I am not a huge "New Adult" fan but this book is so good.


Brooklyn Girls follows a girl called Pia, out of college, broke and fired from her job. She struggles with anxiety attacks and the aftermath of her first love breaking up with her and the main focus of the novel is about her setting up a business and her relationships surrounding this. This will be a series (I'm assuming five parts, one for each Brooklyn Girl).

I am tired of books solely focusing on love but Brooklyn Girls is twice as interesting because it's focused on more than just love. Pia is strong and confident and the book tracks her incredible drive to succeed. She's fantastic. The book is the new dawn of the "New Adult" genre; it's modern, upbeat and focuses on more than just a man.

Do you know what?  That's not even the best bit. As the book gains speed in a similar fashion to a JK Rowling* novel the plot becomes intense and exciting. You care about the characters. You care what happens to them. The narrative is intense yet bubbly and energetic and that is what makes this book unique and enjoyable.

In New Adult fiction I've found that many of the characters are a caricature of real people and real relationships. However, Gemma Burgess makes the characters real. The lead is not a white, blonde, good American girl; she's a half Indian, half Swiss, American citizen who was expelled twice, fired and has flaws like a real person. I loved that.

I really would recommend this book. Truly. It's a five star read and it's out tomorrow in the UK and yesterday in the US.

Thank you to Gemma Burgess and Quercus for sending me this advanced copy. I loved it.

Buy this book.


*However, in a similar manner to a JK Rowling novel it is a little slow starting, but still interesting.

Small disclaimer: it's not for younger readers. I mean, it's not 50 shades but it covers certain topics. I would say 14-15+

No comments:

Post a Comment