Sunday 30 June 2013

The Book Swap

I read one of Maiya's favourite books this month which she has reviewed here.



It's called The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines and yeah, it was good. It's about a love triangle (because YA fiction never has one of those) in a small town and the usual "should I go for the perfect boy but I don't love him who I'm dating or the bad boy who I want with all my heart." And despite it's "new adult" label it's surprisingly has a lack of s*x scenes. Oh and to top it off, the lead "Ashton" is the daughter of a minister/vicar.

It is enjoyable. It is definitely more enjoyable than I expected as I fell out the the romance genre when I read 14 days later a year ago (did you know I am the second most disliked review on the amazon kindle edition because I insulted all of its readers?).

I liked the backdrop to the novel but I didn't love the characters. I just didn't connect to them and my empathy with the characters is essential to how much I enjoy the book. I found that Ashton was not particularly likeable because she wasn't very "honourable" in her loyalty to her boyfriend. Beau controlled himself a bit more so thumbs up for Beau. Sawyer was a bit of a douche in the third quartile of the book but otherwise I liked the characters. They were just a little bit too exaggerated for my liking as I'm a huge fan of subtlety.

There was a plot twist I didn't guess (and it's the big one) so four for you Abbi Glines you go Abbi Glines! It was entertaining and made the relationships interesting which is what a lot of romantic fiction lacks. I liked that.

Overall I gave this 3 stars. It was good. It wasn't my kind of book but that didn't stop me from enjoying reading it. If you love New Adult or YA definitely read it.

Buy this book (if you use that link it gives me commission and I would love you forever)

No comments:

Post a Comment