Wednesday 29 May 2013

About a Girl by Lindsey Kelk - Review


I don't read chick flick that often. I've had a couple of bad experiences in the past. But this book completely changed my perspective on the genre because it's brilliant. I probably wouldn't have read it if I hadn't been sent a free review copy by Waterstones.


Tess, the workaholic, is made redundant from her job in advertising and is desperately in love with her best friend. She realises that she has nothing going on in her life so she hijacks her flatmates job and goes to Hawaii for a week as a "professional photographer."

I found the start to be a little slow moving but the prologue really starts the book off with a bang. Admittedly until about page 100 it isn't very interesting but stick with it, the rest is fabulous. The plot twists are unexpected (apart from one but that willed me to keep reading, to lap up every word) and not clichée. The ending was... complicated. I was left feeling both satisfied and unsatisfied but mostly very happy. Literally I felt happy inside. A book hasn't done that to me in a while.

The characters are wonderful and really well thought up. You will care for these characters, whether it be Tess or Amy or Paige even Al and character development was done fantastically. You care about their relationships. It's a great thing.

Most of all it was a really enjoyable experience and if I could read it again as a new experience,  I would. Buy it, even if chick flick isn't your thing because it's great.

Buy this book. Out on the 4th July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment