Tuesday 2 April 2013

Oskar Wilde's Sexuality in Dorian Gray

I normally write one or two reviews, one on my opinions and one where I'll basically do your English homework. This is one of these.



"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all... All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril."

The start of Oskar Wilde's book seemed at first, quite poetical, and what I have always wanted to tell my English Literature exam board. However, after reading the first few pages, it seemed odd how much of himself he put into the book.

"I have put too much of myself into it... I am afraid I have shown in it the secret of my own soul."

Oskar Wilde was imprisoned at what is now my local young offenders institute for sodomy and indecency, which translated into Modern English, is homosexuality, though he pleaded not guilty.  When I was reading, I kept wondering why he put so much of his sexuality into the book when he could be persecuted for it. Dorian Gray is described as "beautiful" and "handsome" by two men over and over and one of the men is infatuated (this is not a spoiler, spoilers don't happen on the second page) by this man; his life revolves around Dorian Grey because he is so beautiful.

Do we notice Oskar Wilde's sexuality in this book because it is so clear or because homosexuality is not mentioned enough? Do we read books by heterosexuals and when they write that the opposite sex is beautiful do we brush over it because homosexuality is still not talked enough about, even in modern society?

(n.b. Admittedly, if you want to hear how the opposite sex is beautiful, you should probably read one of Maiya's books.)

I think I found it so obvious because when reading classics, homosexuality is unheard of. Even if the author had those feelings, they would have suppressed them because of the illegality and the consequences; prison did lead to Oskar Wilde's untimely death. 

When reading classics, I read into the meanings of the book, I don't just accept them for what they are. I think maybe that is why I was surprised by the amount of homosexuality in the book. This brings me back to my first quote:  "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all." Was Oskar Wilde going to be told that these thoughts were "immoral" and is this why he put this two page introduction discounting the homosexual references? He knew his book was well written, but some of the subjects were just too modern for his time.

I think it would be interesting if we could know if this introductory passage was written before or after the whole book was written. Did he realise what could be read from his book and change it so no one could accuse him? He calls it "art." This simply makes it sound like societies vanity which the book is written around, but I believe it is much more than that.


Oskar Wilde's story was tragic, but Dorian Gray, so far, is brilliant. Honestly, pick up a copy. Hetero or homosexual, Oskar Wilde put himself into the book and I think the part that an author puts into a book should be taken into account.

If you buy this I get a commission so I would love you forever and ever, and it's 25% off: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Picture-Dorian-Gray-Oscar-Wilde/9780141199498?a_aid=SophieCharlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment