Friday 12 April 2013

Ketchup Clouds Review

I found out about this book through the pre-roll advertisment on youtube (you know, the unskipable ones before videos). Now, youtube knows how old I am, to the day. It knows my interests, my hobbies so it recommended this book. So why did Annabel Pitcher's marketing team believe I was her target market?



Sure, I bought it. I write a blog so she gets even more media attention. But am I likely to recommend a children's book to another year 11? Probably not.

Now, on the very small chance you have kids, because dear parent I am well aware you are not my demographic, I won't recommend it to you either. It has themes of murder, s*x, divorce (doesn't sound dark but it's dark to a child), money worries, s*xual abuse etc. Minefield of nightmares and awkward conversations waiting to happen.

Now I have had yet another rant about advertising (I have them all the time) let me review the book.

Ketchup Clouds is about "Zoe," a girl who holds a terrible guilt about an event that happened in the past. As a result she writes to a man on death row called Mr S Harris because she feels that he will understand her guilt. The plot was really strong in some places as you knew what was going to happen but not to which character. However, there was a bit of a YA Twilight love triangle and it was a bit tiresome because it was so infeasible and one of the characters was so unrealistic.

I think the characters could have been developed more, the only development that occurs is Zoe's affection for Mr Harris. The family were, I think, supposed to be relatable to everyday families but I haven't had any of those scenarios so I found myself disconnected from the family life.

The boys were two very different characters, one I really disliked and one I found too perfect. You'll know which one is which if you read it. It was a sweet concept, but it was just too YA novel "a 17 year old boy fancies the 15 year old girl."

Why didn't I hate this book with it's terrible love story and pathetic character development? Is it because I've gone revision crazy?

Maybe.

It's mainly because the writing style was really good, though very simplistic. Annabel Pitcher is very gripping and the overall plotline and not the "who done it" but "who died" was done fantastically. I mean really really well. It would be the reason to buy the book. The tension was built up brilliantly.


I would hold out for the paperback though because the cover is gorgeous. It adds so much more to the book.


I gave it 3 stars because it's quick and easy and some bits are well done, but in 5 years time it will sit alone because it doesn't fit anywhere, a mingle of terrible YA, inappropriate children's literature and adults who won't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment